Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day 1

We're all here safe and sound after the red eye flight. We arrived at 5:30am, had no trouble with customs or collecting our baggage. We had breakfast in Guatemala City, a small cafe next to the tour agency office we are working with. After that, we went to the tour office and talked about the plans for the upcoming days. I went right to sleep during this conversation; couldn't take one more minute!
After that, we hit the road and came to a weaving cooperative, where we learned about fair trade and weaving, the projects this cooperative is working on, and what the role of consumers is in fair trade. They took us to their showroom afterward, and of course we all found things we couldn't live without. Family and friends are in for some goodies.
After that, we drove up into the highlands, long, winding roads with a few misplaced and radical bumps in them. My neck won't be forgiving me for a couple of days, here...

We've stopped in the town of Panajachel for the night where our tour-guide/host, Rosario, took us to a beautiful restaurant that sits right out over the edge of Lago Atitlan - Lake Atitlan. Danny said that place "was tight." After that we've all scattered and done some looking at the market, dancing at the Circus, reading in our rooms, and attending Sunday evening Mass. We are staying at Larry's Place hotel tonight. Surprisingly nice place for the dorky sounding name. The water runs warm and the sheets are clean. What more could one want? I've certainly done much, much worse!
Laura

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this!
Hey Fred! I hope the reception for President Bush in Guatemala City is not the same as it was today in Bogota - not a pretty site!
RW & I are thinking about you every day and praying for all of you - to have the greatest trip ever! I love you!

Anonymous said...

.....and not a pretty sight either! Ha Ha!
The way this blog address is written you could refer to yourselves as "Smuguats"....
or not. Ok, it's late.

Anonymous said...

Hi SMU Guatemala Group,
I'm sitting in a very quiet office(with chocolate) and wondering what exciting places you have seen and experiences you have had. I thought of you all yesterday when President Bush was in Guatemala City. Did you get jazzed while visiting the producers and plantations of free trade coffee? Will Fred and Danny bring back coffee for Saffe? Let Lynne know that the plants are on strike since her departure and hopefully they'll allow me to water them...

Anonymous said...

Hey SMU Guat group-- I'm eager for more news of the sights, sounds, experiences of Guatemala! Are the protests still going on? I hope you are doing well! Send news if you can!

Anonymous said...

It's been three days since the last blog post...the suspense is KILLING me!!!

I hope all is well and everyone's having a great time :)

~Andrew /|\

Anonymous said...

SMU Guatemala: Donde Esta?
You must be having too much fun. The suspence is killing me too.